Applications for the 2024 University of Toronto Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) in Astronomy & Astrophysics will open towards the end of 2023/beginning of 2024.
Applications for SURP 2023, received on or before Monday January 31, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. EST, will receive full consideration. Please note that applications submitted later than January 31 will be accepted on a rolling basis via email until all positions are filled.
The annual Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) in astronomy & astrophysics at the University of Toronto is a unique opportunity for undergraduate students in astronomy, physics or engineering to prepare for a career in scientific research.
The program typically runs from May to August. Throughout the program students have the opportunity to:
- Experience what a career in research is like by independently conducting a project related to on-going astronomical research at U of T
- Collaborate with U of T astronomers
- Improve their research writing and communication skills
- Learn about research being conducted at U of T
- Participate in U of T public outreach activities
Students work with astronomers from the Dunlap Institute or the David A Dunlap Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics (DADDAA) depending on their research interest, choice of research project, or supervisor.
SURP offers students an opportunity to work at the leading centre for astronomical research in Canada, at the leading research university in the country.
SURP is open to students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and would like to apply, you must:
- be a full-time student at the University of Toronto; or
- be a full-time student in a Canadian university and have an off-campus work permit; or
- have a work permit allowing you to work with the University of Toronto
You can apply if you have participated in the U of T astronomy & astrophysics SURP in previous years.
If you have any further questions, email the SURP committee.
As an example of the kind of work done by SURP students, research posters from SURP 2022 can be found here.
Students applying to SURP may also be interested in CITA’s SURF program, for which a limited number of projects are cross-listed.