I usually teach three courses every year:
- AST 101 -- The Sun and Its Neighbours
- AST 201 -- Stars and Galaxies
- PMU 199 L0111 -- Great Astronomical Issues
I do not maintain public web pages for these courses. Students are instead automatically enrolled in each course's Portal page after registering in the course. I welcome inquiries from students interested in taking any of these courses.
The unifying theme of my research is star formation. I have published both theoretical and observational research, but my current focus is on observations. Most of my observations are taken at millimeter and submillimeter (loosely, far infrared and radio) wavelengths. My specific interests within the broad theme of star formation include:
- The origins of the stellar initial mass function.
- The kinematics of star-forming molecular cloud cores and their environments. in particular, examining their sources of support (ex. rotation and turbulence), and bulk motions linked to their evolutionary states (ex. infall and outflows)
- The search for and classification of young, high-mass protostellar and pre-protostellar objects.
- The development of an evolutionary sequence for high-mass pre-protostellar objects.
My papers can be downloaded using NASA's ADS (Astrophysics Data System). My combination of initials and last name is very common; these are the papers that I actually wrote (or co-wrote):
|[ADS]||Hershel Reveals Massive Cold Clumps in NGC 7538, Fallscheer, C., Reid, M. A., et al. 2013, ApJ, 773, 102|
|[ADS]||Detecting cosmic structure via 21-cm intensity mapping on the Australian Telescope Compact Array, Vujanovic, G, Pen, U.-L., Reid, M., & Bond, J. R. 2012, A&A, 539, L5|
|[ADS]||Deconstructing the High-Mass Star-Forming Region IRAS 23033+5951, Reid, M. A. & Matthews, B. C. 2008, ApJ, 675, 1343||[ADS]||High Mass Star Formation III: The Functional Form of the Submillimeter Clump Mass Function, Reid, M. A & Wilson, C. D. 2006, ApJ, 650, 970|
|[ADS]||High Mass Star Formation II: The Mass Function of Submillimeter Clumps in M17, Reid, M. A. & Wilson, C. D. 2006, ApJ, 644, 990|
|[ADS]||High Mass Star Formation I: The Mass Distribution of Submillimeter Clumps in NGC 7538, Reid, M. A. & Wilson, C. D. 2005, ApJ, 625, 891-905|
|[ADS]||Three-dimensional Simulations of the Gravitational Collapse of Logatropic Molecular Cloud Cores, Reid, M. A., Pudritz, R. E., & Wadsley, J. 2002, ApJ, 570, 231-244|
|[ADS]||Wide-Field Washington Photometry of the NGC 5128 Globular Cluster System. I. The Database, Harris, G. L. H, Geisler, D., Harris, W. E., Schmidt, B. P., Hesser, J. E., Reid, M., Milne, M., Hulme, S. C., Kidd, T. 2004, AJ, 128, 712-722|
For those without journal access, preprints of my papers can also be downloaded for the free on astro-ph.