Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Toronto
shares our institution’s unwavering commitment to excellence, inclusion
and respect. We are a diverse community of faculty, students, scientists, staff and visitors, who strive toward an environment for our research, teaching
and learning that is professional, inclusive and collaborative, and in
which everyone is treated with equity and dignity.
Excellence in Research & Learning
We commit to providing a
world-class academic environment, by bringing together leading
researchers and educators and by giving them access to the best
facilities and ideas. This includes:
- Conducting rigorous scholarship and influential research.
- Providing excellent learning experiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Supporting and encouraging academic freedom.
Integrity, Professionalism & Collaboration
We commit to acting in a professional manner as individuals, in teams, and across the astronomy community, regardless of rank and role. This includes:
- Behaving responsibly, professionally and ethically in all our work and working relationships.
- Clearly defining and communicating our expectations and standards of excellence.
- Striving to keep our commitments to each other.
- Helping community members maximize their potential, and ensuring that their contributions are recognized.
Diverse & Inclusive Academic Community
We commit to fostering and defending an equitable and inclusive environment. This includes:
- Treating all scientists, students, staff and visitors equitably, regardless
of age, citizenship, ethnic origin, creed, disability, family status,
gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or any of the other prohibited grounds as set out in the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Welcoming and valuing the diverse backgrounds, identities and expectations of our community.
and developing new ways to support, engage with and learn from
Indigenous peoples in our research, learning and teaching.
- Recognizing that a diverse community strengthens our research and teaching by broadening our perspectives and approaches.
- Working to identify and correct biases in all our admission, recruitment, promotion, and evaluation processes.
Respect & Courtesy
We commit to maintaining a collegial work environment in which we all treat each other with dignity,
courtesy and respect, regardless of position or status in the
department, and for all our activities both on and off campus. This
- Establishing a
safe and supportive workplace and learning environment, free from
harassment, discrimination, bullying, physical or mental abuse, or other
- Being respectful of others’ right to express their own points of view.
the work of administrative, technical, janitorial and other support
staff who play a vital role in the successful functioning of our
- Being constructive and professional in interacting with others and in providing feedback on their work.
- Maintaining University-defined norms of behaviour in all our activities.