Financial Matters

1. Colloquium Subsidy Policy

Lunch subsidy:
Including the speaker, up to $80 for 4 or fewer people; $100 for 5 or more people.

Dinner subsidy:

The new scheme will require at least 3 and no more than 7 students.

–          Speaker: $100 (which includes wine or other)

–          Students; $32/each

So, if 5 students, then the total is $260.

Application of the subsidy:
The meals of the colloquium speaker is paid for in full and whatever is left is available for the meals of the other attendees.  If this doesn’t cover the total bill then the rest of the people at the meal divide the residual cost and thus co-pay.  This is a subsidy program, not a carte blanche; a corollary, based on some history, is that for large parties attendees (other than speaker) should expect to incur some amount of co-payment.

These guidelines apply to the use of Departmental funds and require receipts for reimbursement. Where appropriate, hosting faculty members might top up the meal expenses using their research grants or UTFA (Professional Expense Reimbursement Allowance) funds.

The host submits the completed Expense Report Form with original receipts and names of participants to the Financial Officer for reimbursement.

2. Health Insurance Outside Canada

In accordance with the University of Toronto Policy for Safety in Field Research, it is the responsibility of departments to inform their faculty, staff and graduate students that they should arrange for health insurance coverage while away from Canada on departmental or observatory business. This is necessary even if you have OHIP coverage, since this does not cover all costs of hospitalization or outpatient clinics in foreign countries. The University of Toronto does not generally cover the cost of this insurance, and such coverage cannot be paid from NSERC grants.

The purpose of this notice is to inform each faculty/staff member and graduate student of their responsibility for obtaining such coverage before travelling in connection with their university employment. In some instances, coverage may already be provided if you have extended health care associated with programs such as Blue Cross. If you do not already have appropriate coverage, you should obtain travel insurance on a trip-by-trip basis. In this case the department/observatory will refund the cost of travel insurance to non-academic staff as part of their trip expenses, provided the trip is for departmental/observatory business.

You are required to sign the form, available in the main office at DA, acknowledging that you have received this notice and accept the responsibility for obtaining appropriate medical insurance for such trips.


3. UofT Human Resources Section for Health Claims

These forms can be found on the U of T Human Resources Page or you can download them here.


4. Other Forms