HOME About David Dunlap Observatory (DDO)

The David Dunlap Observatory was presented to the University of Toronto in 1935 by Jessie Donalda Dunlap as a memorial to her husband David Alexander Dunlap. Planned in consultation with Dr. C.A. Chant, first Director of the Observatory, the project had three objectives: astronomical research, the training of advanced students at the University, and the fostering of public interest in astronomy.

The site chosen was a farm 25km north of the University campus. The original pre-Confederation farm house became the Director's residence.

When built, the 1.88 m. telescope was the second largest telescope in the world. Later two other reflector telescopes (.5m and .6m) were built on top of the Administration building.

Observatory astronomers form part of the academic staff of the UofT Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics.

Theoretical research joins with all modes of observational research in such diverse problems as cosmology and the internal constitution of stars. Some of the areas under study by staff and graduate students are the structure and evolution of galaxies and star clusters, black holes, variable and double stars,the physical and chemical nature of stars and the way they change with time, and the interstellar medium out of which we and our Sun are formed.

The DDO library was moved to the St. George campus in 1983. If you are interested in accessing library materials, contact webmaster@astro.utoronto.ca

The DDO was sold and closed in 2008 (See July, 2008 press release). Proceeds from the sale have endowed the Dunlap Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics.

Page maintained by: webmaster@astro.utoronto.ca
Last update: September 30 2008